Install Solution on VMWare?

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Ok I am one that is not fortunate enough to have a hyper-V setup. Instead I am using VMWare for Workstation. I have created a VM instance with somplete setup (DC {contoso.com}, DNS, SQL, SP2010, etc.). I tried following the instructions but I can never get by the first site (K1-12 Intranet). I creates the web app and begins restoring the site collection, but then fails when it is attempting to define the security for the site collection. The content DB appears to be created. I can see the site collection, but I get access denied. I even tried to reset the site collection admins but that fails.

So I was wondering if there was something specific within the scripts that are looking for something in particular that exists on the Information Worker's VMs. Just though I'd ask to see if there was a way to get some real content that I could build upon.

Thanks

Bill

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010 at 2:10 AM

You should be able to install the Content Packs on any Sharepoint 2010 installation.

Can you provide us with more details on your installation? What do you have installed on your VM image? (Version of Windows, SQL, Sharepoint, etc..)

Can you also send a copy of the Content Pack Install log file which is located at c:\content packs\<content pack name>

Please send copy of log file and any screen shots you can provide to kenmal@microsoft.com

thanks

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:32 AM
Ok I have included some screen sots and the install log. Let me know what else you may need.

Bill

---- kenmal <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: kenmal
>
> You should be able to install the Content Packs on any Sharepoint 2010 installation.Can you provide us with more details on your installation? What do you have installed on your VM image? (Version of Windows, SQL, Sharepoint, etc..)Can you also send a copy of the Content Pack Install log file which is located at c:\content packs\<content pack name>Please send copy of log file and any screen shots you can provide to [email removed]nks
>
>
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:45 AM
I forgot to mention a few things. Even though the error occurred the web application and content DB actually get created. However I cannot login to the site even though I am using the CONTOSO/administrator account. And then if I attempt to reset the site collection administrators thru CA I get an error. It looks like it is not able to set a new site collection admin because of the unknown state the restore site is in. Here is a snippet of the error in the SP log:

SqlCommand: 'SET NOCOUNT ON; DECLARE @DN nvarchar(256),@LN nvarchar(128),@@DocUIVersion int,@@Level tinyint,@@S uniqueidentifier; DECLARE @ItemId int; DECLARE @@iRet int; DECLARE @ExtraItemSize int; DECLARE @Login nvarchar(255); DECLARE @Title nvarchar(255); DECLARE @Email nvarchar(255); DECLARE @Notes nvarchar(1023); DECLARE @MobilePhone nvarchar(127); DECLARE @AddedToTable bit; DECLARE @UserIdOut int; DECLARE @LoginOut nvarchar(255); DECLARE @TitleOut nvarchar(255); DECLARE @EmailOut nvarchar(255); DECLARE @NotesOut nvarchar(1023); DECLARE @MobilePhoneOut nvarchar(127); DECLARE @DeletedOut bit; DECLARE @NeedtoAddtoList bit; DECLARE @IsGroup bit; SET @IsGroup = 0; SET @@Level = 1; SELECT @Login = @wssp0; SELECT @Title = @wssp1; SELECT @Email = @wssp2; SELECT @Notes = @wssp3; SELECT @Mobil... 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b
...ePhone = @wssp4; SELECT @@S=@wssp5; EXEC @@iRet = proc_SecAddUser @@S, @wssp6, @wssp7, @wssp8, @wssp9, @wssp10, @Login, @Title, @Email, @Notes, @MobilePhone, @wssp11, @wssp12, @wssp13, @wssp14, @AddedToTable OUTPUT, @UserIdOut OUTPUT, @LoginOut OUTPUT, @TitleOut OUTPUT, @EmailOut OUTPUT, @NotesOut OUTPUT, @MobilePhoneOut OUTPUT, @DeletedOut OUTPUT, @NeedtoAddtoList OUTPUT; IF @@iRet <> 0 BEGIN GOTO DONE; END ; SELECT @ItemId = @UserIdOut; IF @NeedtoAddtoList = 0 BEGIN GOTO DONE; END ; BEGIN TRAN IF NOT EXISTS( SELECT tp_ID FROM UserData WHERE tp_ListId = '04EACD3E-9F99-4976-ACE8-6B4DA9A74C76' AND tp_ID = @ItemId AND tp_Level = 1 AND tp_RowOrdinal =0) BEGIN SELECT @ExtraItemSize = 0 EXEC @@iRet = proc_AddListItem @SiteId =@wssp15,@WebId=@wssp16,@ListID=@wssp17,@RowOrdinal=@wssp18,@Item... 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b
...DocType=@wssp19,@SortTypeReversed=@wssp20,@RetainId=@wssp21,@RetainObjectIdentity=@wssp22,@ItemId = @ItemId OUTPUT,@ItemDirName=@DN OUTPUT,@ItemLeafName=@LN OUTPUT,@UserID=@wssp23,@tp_Author = @ItemId,@tp_Editor = @ItemId,@TimeNow=@wssp24,@CopySecurityFromMasterID=@wssp25,@UseNvarchar1ItemName=@wssp26,@ServerTemplate=@wssp27,@IsNotUserDisplayed=@wssp28,@Basetype=@wssp29,@Level=@wssp30,@UIVersion=@wssp31,@tp_GUID=@wssp32,@CheckSchemaVersion=@wssp33,@OnRestore=@wssp34,@AddNamespace=@wssp35,@CheckDiskQuota=@wssp36, @tp_ContentTypeId = @wssp37, @nvarchar1 = @wssp38, @nvarchar3 = @wssp39, @nvarchar4 = @wssp40, @nvarchar5 = @wssp41, @nvarchar6 = @wssp42, @bit2 = @wssp43, @bit3 = @wssp44, @nvarchar9 = @wssp45, @nvarchar10 = @wssp46, @bit4 = @wssp47, @tp_ModerationStatus = @wssp48, @Size=@wssp49, ... 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b
...@ExtraItemSize = @ExtraItemSize , @eventData=@wssp50, @acl=@wssp51, @DocClientId=@wssp52; IF @@iRet <> 0 BEGIN ROLLBACK TRAN; GOTO DONE; END END ; COMMIT TRAN; EXEC proc_UpdateDiskUsed @@S, 1; DONE: SELECT @@iRet, @ItemId, @AddedToTable, @LoginOut, @TitleOut, @EmailOut, @NotesOut, @MobilePhoneOut, @DeletedOut ' CommandType: Text CommandTimeout: 0 Parameter: '@wssp0' Type: NVarChar Size: 4000 Direction: Input Value: 'CONTOSO\svc.sp.farm' Parameter: '@wssp1' Type: NVarChar Size: 4000 Direction: Input Value: 'Svc Sp farm' Parameter: '@wssp2' Type: NVarChar Size: 4000 Direction: Input Value: '' Parameter: '@wssp3' Type: NVarChar Size: 4000 Direction: Input Value: '' Parameter: '@wssp4' Type: NVarChar Size: 4000 Direction: Input Value: '' Parameter: '@wssp5' Type: U... 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b
...niqueIdentifier Size: 0 Direction: Input Value: '7e26a034-0659-42a2-8554-058b86052819' Parameter: '@wssp6' Type: VarBinary Size: 8000 Direction: Input Parameter: '@wssp7' Type: VarBinary Size: 0 Direction: Input 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPUser.set_IsSiteAdmin(Boolean value) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.set_Owner(SPUser value) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSiteAdministration.set_OwnerLoginName(String value) at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.OwnersPage.BtnConfirm_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 173adf7a-63d5-40a8-a028-704314bb5d2b

Hope this helps,

Bill

---- kenmal <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: kenmal
>
> You should be able to install the Content Packs on any Sharepoint 2010 installation.Can you provide us with more details on your installation? What do you have installed on your VM image? (Version of Windows, SQL, Sharepoint, etc..)Can you also send a copy of the Content Pack Install log file which is located at c:\content packs\<content pack name>Please send copy of log file and any screen shots you can provide to [email removed]nks
>
>
Apr 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I have the same problem, has anyone found what the issue is here?

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I don't installing on VMware should be any different when it comes to the content packs.

Can you provide more details on the problems you are having and which content packs are failing? I spend time with other customers getting the content packs installed in their own environment and would be happy to work with you to help get it working your environment.

Please contact me directly for assistance at kenmal@microsoft.com

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Apologies, may not have been the same problem, my issue was related to permissions attributed to the iis site created.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM

It's ok, I found the cause to be a permissions issue with IIS, this has been resolved.

The only thing I lack is the users to populate active directory, is there any chance you can provide me with a csv file?

Sent: Wednesday, 6 April 2011 10:40 PM
To: albuckett@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Install Solution on VMWare? [SP2010Education:236252]

I don't installing on VMware should be any different when it comes to the content packs.

Can you provide more details on the problems you are having and which content packs are failing? I spend time with other customers getting the content packs installed in their own environment and would be happy to work with you to help get it working your environment.

Please contact me directly for assistance at kenmal@microsoft.com