Errors during setup

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I managed to get the content pack installed for the K-12 Intranet Demo. I skipped the My Site Host steps (Define managed paths, Create a site collection within the Web application for the My Site host location, and Set up My Sites) since I'm using the IW VHD and I assume they took the time to set up a My Site Host.  On the next step:

1. Open SharePoint Designer 2010. Open the following site: http://intranet.contoso.edu/resources/InServiceCreditRequests

I receive the error:
SharePoint Designer does not support the editing of non-SharePoint sites.

This error also occurs when I try to edit intranet.contoso.edu.

In Central Admin ->Manage Web Applications, intranet.contoso.edu is listed.  However I get a page cannot be found error if I try to navigate to intranet.contoso.edu.  If I change the hosts file to reference 127.0.0.1 and try to navigate to intranet.contoso.edu, I am asked for authentication (I'm logged in as CONTOSO\administrator) and after inputing auth I get a vague default SharePoint error page.  When I first booted the VM,  I had to add entries for each Web application pointing to 127.0.0.1 for the sites to load (except central admin, but central admin navigates via the server name and port, so things are a little different).

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I just tested it on our Online Demo Site where we have it hosted live at http://microsoftpsdemos.com and I was able to open the InServiceCredit with Sharepoint designer.  What version of the IW VHD are you running? Are you running the 2010-7a, which is the RTM release and what the content packs were built on?

I would be happy to setup a web conference call with you to help figure out your issue. Let me know if you are interested in doing that.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM

I am running the RTM release on my work laptop.  I setup an internal virtual network and assigned 192.168.150.6 as the IP and 192.168.150.1 as the DNS with no assigned gateway, just as instructed.  A few months ago, I set up the 2010a VHD on my home server and it worked perfectly.  However, this time around I'm getting errors.  I have 5GB of RAM assigned to 2010a with 8GB on the laptop and I am not running 2010b.  I was certainly confused when intranet.contoso.com would not come up.  I ensured the virtual network settings were correct, checked out IIS, disabled the firewall, and finally edited the hosts file to point the web apps at local host.  That seemed to work fine but I suspect the problem with my attempt at your edu demo rests with my instance of 2010a.  I downloaded the VHD two seperate times to be sure it wasn't the VHD but the weird network issues befuddle me.

I would certainly appreciate your assistance but I doubt the issue has anything to do with your demo.

If you work for Microsoft, find solice in the fact that I aim to use it to demo to a large university that is very interesting in how SharePoint can replace Blackboard as a learning tool.  I am certainly willing to blog my experiences and give a talk about your demo at my local SharePoint User group.  I greatly appreciate your work I and I hope I get your project running.  I would be willing to work with you via web conference whenever it is most convenient for you. 

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM

are you aware of our Online Demo site where we host our Public Sector solutions like the Education solution for Sharepoint 2010? The site is http://microsoftpsdemos.com and you register there and then access the full Education demo solutions online. We also provide the ability to customize your own instance of the demo and create a saved state of the demo for your personal use. This helps when you don't have a large enough machine to run these new Sharepoint 2010 demos.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Kenmal, that site is fantastic! 

I think it would be helpful to have a link to that site on the description of the Demo Project.  I will certainly still try to get the demo project up and running; I love to tinker with things and I'm trying to learn more about SharePoint 2010 configuration and administration.  The online demo works for my work needs for now and it takes the pressure off so I can wait until the weekend to get the demo project up and running. 

I appreciate your expertise Kenmal.  Thank you for your assistance.